SGN invests in projects that help preserve giraffe from extinction in nine African countries. All SGN projects on-the-ground are community-led by local people to the maximum extent possible.
We have projects that support each of the four species of giraffe – Reticulated, Masai, Northern, and Southern – as well as the people living alongside them.
These projects include:
- Giraffe rewilding and reintroduction in Kenya, Niger, and Zambia
- Giraffe rescue centers and orphanages in Kenya, Botswana, and Zimbabwe
- De-snaring, anti-poaching, canine units, and rapid response teams in:
- South Sudan
- Population studies, satellite tracking and applied conservation research projects in South Africa, South Sudan, Tanzania, Kenya, and Uganda
- Partnering with Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and others on research to develop techniques to increase welfare of wild giraffe during crucial rewilding and re-introduction operations